When a fire occurs in a building, the priority is to save lives, contain the fire and minimize damage. With increasing densities of both copper and fibre network cabling in buildings, these products are playing an ever-increasing role in these situations. For cabling to make a positive contribution, the cabling must not significantly contribute to fire propagation or the generation of smoke, toxic gas and corrosive acids.
How construction products perform under fire conditions has been a vital topic for the European Commission (EC). Implementation and enforcement of the Construction Products Regulation (CPR) also known as EU Regulation 305/2011 places regulations on products used in construction applications. Efforts to harmonize national standards for cabling across Europe into one standard has resulted in EN 50575:2014 entitled “Power, control and communication cables. Cables for general applications in construction works subject to reaction to fire requirements”:
- The Regulation applies only to cables that are permanently installed (fixed installations) in building structures and civil engineering works.
- The Regulation classifies products by EuroClass for flame propagation as well as heat release, smoke production, flaming droplets and acidity per EN 50399, EN 60332-1, EN 61034 and EN 50267.
- Testing must be performed by an approved notified body.
- The Regulation also specifies how conformity with the requirements is ensured on a continuing basis.
- Communication cables will fall into the range of B2ca through Fca.
Copper and fibre horizontal cable products manufactured on or after July 1, 2017 must be compliant to the requirements of CPR and must have an obligatory Declaration of Performance (DoP) and CE mark which then allows the product to be marketed and installed. Each EU Member State will individually define fire classes for specific applications in their region.
Panduit is pleased to offer a comprehensive portfolio of EuroClass cables, including B2ca, Cca, Dca, Eca, and Fca. While there are many additional criteria available for EuroClass cables (different smoke, flaming droplets, and acidity), Panduit guarantees the following minimal levels by EuroClass on our bulk copper and fiber cables:
- B2ca-s1a, d1, a1
- Cca-s1b, d1, a1
- Dca-s2, d2, a1
- Eca and Fca do not have additional requirements.
Some Panduit EuroClass cables may have higher additional criteria than shown here. Please refer to the specification sheets for exact information.
Panduit remains fully committed to the safety of both people and structures and compliance to that of the Construction Products Regulation. As a European leader in cabling technology, we have initiated all the necessary steps to achieve full compliance for all cabling products in our portfolio. Additional information can be found on this page.
For further information, please contact: TechSupportEMEA@panduit.com